Purchasing Agent - Iowa
- Full Time
- BVS Ellsworth
BVS has an immediate opening for a full-time Purchasing Agent. This position works 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM Monday - Friday in our climate-controlled Ellsworth, Iowa facility. This position is responsible for maintaining adequate inventory for the Ellsworth, IA warehouse and will also purchase for all other locations in a timely manner to ensure all locations have the product they need when they need it.
BVS offers a casual dress work environment with a benefit package that includes competitive pay, health and dental insurance, paid vacation, sick and holiday time, company-paid life insurance, 401(k) with company match and more.
- Enter and submit purchase orders for the Ellsworth, IA location.
- Maintain adequate inventory based on past sales and future projected sales.
- Submit purchase orders for all other (7 total) locations.
- Will have a basic understanding of products and their categories to know what can be used in place of what.
- Under the guidance of the Materials Manager, this person will determine “safety stock” levels for all products and enter those levels in the system.
- Responsible for the maintenance of safety stock levels and ordering products that reach those levels.
- Utilize other system capabilities to ensure each location has the product they need when they need it while managing total dollar amounts of all locations.
- Responsible for keeping record of minimum purchase quantities for select vendors, as well as order quantities to meet prepaid freight and other purchasing incentives.
- Will work under the Materials Manager to take advantage of vendor purchasing programs as they are available.
- Will maintain the current vendor/supplier approval log to ensure all companies in which BVS makes purchases meet the criteria under the BVS QMS.
- Will work with Materials Manager in the ordering of raw material and assist in creating manufacturing orders.
- Responsible for creating an atmosphere that promotes employee involvement while communicating regularly with all employees keeping them abreast of our Company values and goals.
- Maintains supply system database for proper sourcing, procurement lead times, order quantities, prices and internal delivery requirements.
- Understands and appropriately manages inventory of new product, transitioning and discontinued product lines.
- Listens and responds to customers’ needs.
- Willingness to pursue continuing education opportunities and related training to improve skillset.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including active listening.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks and effectively work independently.
- Must also have the ability to work collaboratively with others as part of the team.
- Service-oriented and able to resolve customer concerns.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive rapport with vendors, internal and external customers.
- Proficient computer skills with the ability to learn new software.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, product, service, or areas of specialization.
- Demonstrated understanding of purchasing and inventory management, product flow and productivity standards.
- Proven negotiation skills.
- Ability to exercise tact, courtesy, and ethics when dealing with vendors, co-workers, and customers.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, understandable manner, and listen attentively to others, understands material, and provide feedback to all team members.
- Adjust priorities and manage time wisely in a fast-paced environment with minimum supervision.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems involving several options with limited information.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software, as well as inventory software.
Education and Experience:
- High school degree/GED required.
- Degree in business administration, procurement, or a related field preferred.
- At least two years of purchasing experience required.
- Prolonged periods of sitting driving or at a desk and working on a computer.
- The ability to working with and around industrial hazards.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Must be able to access all areas of the facility to determine purchasing needs.
- May require travel to other locations.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.